These are five popular and classic books that I would want to read:
1. “Brave New World” by Aldous Huxley. This is one of my “must read” books. I’ve heard good things about this book. It’s a parallel opposite of “1984” by George Orwell. I’ve seen a mini comic comparing “Brave New World” and “1984” Brave New World’s main idea is “Huxley feared that our desire will ruin us”. 1984’s main idea is “Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us.” It’s a cautionary tale brand of literature that I enjoy reading and I definitely can’t wait to read it.
2. “Player Piano” by Kurt Vonnegut. I’ve completed two books by Vonnegut, “Slaughterhouse-Five” and “Cat’s Cradle”. I didn’t finish reading “Galapagos” and “Deadeye Dick”, because time ran out and I’ve renewed those books 3 times back then. I’ve also read his short story collection novels “When Mortals Sleep” and “Watch the Birdie”. I didn’t complete those books neither but I enjoyed reading them. “Player Piano” is another must read of mine. From its synopsis :
“Kurt Vonnegut’s first novel spins the chilling tale of engineer Paul Proteus, who must find a way to live in a world dominated by a supercomputer and run completely by machines. Paul’s rebellion is vintage Vonnegut—wildly funny, deadly serious, and terrifyingly close to reality.”
With the expansion of technology in the 21st century, who wouldn’t want to read a book that’s so close to home?
3. 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami: This is another popular book that I’ve heard about and seen in bookstores. I haven’t read a lot of Murakami’s works. I may have at one point, but I must have forgotten about it. This book from what I’ve discovered is 1100+ pages. It’s about the same length as the Song of Ice and Fire series. 1Q84 is much thicker than the paperback versions of the Song of Ice and Fire series.
4. Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams: I have never had the opportunity to read this book at all in my life. Shocking, since I know most people have read this.
5. Battle Royale by Koushun Takami: This book I jokingly nicknamed the original “Hunger Games”. I’ve heard about Battle Royale for about a decade now. There was a comic book version of this novel and I skimmed through it.